Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Setback

We hit a bump in the road this morning at the clinic. After signing in I got called back fairly quickly and had some blood drawn. Then a nurse performed an u/s of my girlie parts. Uterus looked great, ovaries not so much. Leftie had the same old cyst as always which was really dissapointing (I was hoping that 8 days of lu.pron and a month of birth control would have taken care of it). The big surprise though was the right ovary. A huge bloodfilled cyst has decided to make my right ovary it's new home. I could even tell it was ugly-looking on the u/s screen. The nurse really didn't say much, just that she was going to have Dr. K take a look. After checking things out he recommended that I come back in on Monday for a repeat u/s and hold the stim medications in the meantime. I was kind of in shock (although I don't know why, should've known my body would find a way to screw this up) so I didn't really ask any questions about why/how this happened, what if the cyst isn't gone next week etc...I left clinic with the nurse telling me she would call with my bloodwork results and an appt. for next week. At this point I was trying really hard not to lose it. I didn't want to cry in front of a bunch of strangers or my sister and mom (they rode with me to the appt). My family has been a little nervous/apprehensive about Tom and I going through this process, I don't want to show how hugely emotionally invested I am in this already...I really wish Tom was here, and that my immediate family wasn't in on every detail. It's great knowing I have their support, but it sucked having to relay all the info from the visit to my mom and my sister.

We went by Northpark on our way out of town (still trying to keep the lump in my throat under control at this point) and bought some shoes and a dress for Melissa, then headed back to Tyler. I had texted Tom what had happened and he wanted to call Dr. K to ask more detailed questions. I am sooo glad he did. Dr. K told him that the cyst could have been created from me ovulating through the lu.pron and birth control. This scenario was supported by the fact that my progesterone and estrogen were too high, way too high for having been on the medication. This only happens in 5% of IVF patients (go figure) and he said that we have a 50/50 chance of the cyst resolving by next week. Dr. K gave Tom his cell # and told him to call anytime :) What a difference having a great doctor makes!!

The plan :
- continue same dose of lu.pron
- follow up in clinic Monday
- pray the cyst goes away
- if it doesn't I go off all meds except birth control for ??? IVF cancelled :(

1 comment:

jillian abernathy said...

suzanne, i am just reading this - i wish i had read sooner. you have been on my heart for days. i feel like the lord has just been telling me to pray for you. and i have been. keep your eyes on Him and know that he does want to bless you, i believe that. i know there are just no words i can give you to take away all the hurt and stress. but just remember nothing is impossible for our creator. i love you and i am committed to praying you through all this. lots of love and call me for anything, anytime. xxo big hugs